How to use gpg for encryption

✨ Megiddo

✨ President ✨
Staff member
GOOD READING​

You want to communicate in confidence with people you absolutely not know? Then this tutorial is for you. Here I will explain how to use GPG and use it to encrypt your communications.

I. Operation.First,
explain the operation of GPG. When used for the first time, it will ask you to create a key pair. Indeed, it is:a public key that you distribute to your friends. When you send a message to a friend, you chiffrerez with its public key.a private key, which you keep for yourself. It will be used to sign messages (proving that it's you) and to decrypt messages that were encrypted with your public key.If I speak to your key, depending on the context, it will be your public key or private.

II. Installation.
The Windows software suite for manipulating files encrypted with GPG, with a friendly interface, called Gpg4win. http://www.gpg4win.org/download.html ">-> Http://www.gpg4win.org/download.htmlFor those prefer a portable version, this is what I propose: http://www.gpg4usb.org/download.html ">-> Http://www.gpg4usb.org/download.html

III. Your first steps.

III.A. Create a key pair.Launch the tool GPA.
It will ask you to create a new key. Just enter your name and a "pass phrase" relatively long and containing all numbers, letters, symbols. A bar assess the strength of your passphrase.You can then click the "Edit" button to change the key's password, or its validity date SPECIFY WELL BUT ABOVE 4096 bits when created.Beware of crashes against by GPA, which may occur without warning !!

III.B. Export your public key.
The goal is that your friends can use it to encrypt messages for you. Select your key pair and click the Export button (export). Then put a filename (pubkey.asc kind) and leave the box Armor box: it will produce a block of text easily exchangeable by mail or on a forum.

III.C Import other public keys.
There, not too hard, click the Import button (import) and select a file containing a public key. Try for example with mine! A confirmation message should then appear indicating that a key has been imported.IV. Encrypt and decrypt.On Windows, the procedure varies depending on what you want to do.

IV.A. Encrypt text.
If there is something that you have not yet typed (a response to an email or a post on a forum), this is the easiest way:

1. Open GPA and click the last button, entitled "Clipboard".
2. In the text field, type what you want.
3. Click the button "Encrypt", you also have the choice to sign your message, which copy-stick your signature at the end of the message.
4. In the top of the dialog box, select the person for whom the message is intended. Sign check the box and select your private key in the list below.
5. Click OK. Enter your passphrase when prompted.

If all goes well, the content of the original message will be replaced by a text between two tags
----- BEGIN PGP MESSAGE ----- and ----- END PGP MESSAGE -----.Then copy and paste this message normally;
Your friend will recognize that this is an encrypted message and will decrypt it with the reverse process.

To decrypt the answer you then send your friend, copy and paste the entire message (including tags). Then click Verify (check) or Decrypt (decrypt). Prefer the first because Verify checks the signature and decrypts the text; This is to ensure that the words written by your sweet half come from both him and not an impostor for example!

Warning: If you encrypt the message with a public key of another person, you'll never read yourself what you wrote! If this is really important, keep a copy of the original somewhere before encrypting it!

V. Conclusion.

No need, therefore, to be a computer god to know encrypt messages. In Linux, there are too many command line tools (gpg, which can do everything I described) that similar GUIs GPA (as kgpg). Like what, to protect your secrets, it's not difficult at all if you know how to click.

I also invite you to read the documentation to learn more about alternative uses GPG: How to use the same private key to other machines, how to sign messages without encrypting them, and many more. In those dark days, you're going to need.

Top Bottom